National Corporation for National and Community Serivce (CNCS) Serve.gov link which includes searchable database of community service opportunties by keyword and location.
Also, here is a national portal to locate many local community service opportunities throughout the nation.
U.S. Deptarment of Housing and Urban Development service opportunities link
Volunteers of America service opportunities link
Community Services Opportunities in Texas
Local services opportunties:
Dallas: at Volunteer Center of North Texas, any local nonprofit or church or religious organization that has 501(c)(3) status with the IRS
Community Service is considered:
A release condition that requires people on supervision to perform unpaid work for a civic or nonprofit organization, such as a public library, a soup kitchen, or a conservation program.
How the court uses it:
- As punishment, to restrict the personal liberty of people on supervision and require them to forfeit leisure time.
- As rehabilitation, to instill a work ethic and help people on supervision develop interests and skills.
The officer's duties:
- Find agencies willing to work with people on supervision.
- Match people on supervision with suitable community service assignments.
- Visit the agency to monitor how community service is going and to resolve any problems.
- Take steps to control and correct the situation if people on supervision
– don't show up to do their community service.
– perform their community service assignment unsatisfactorily.
– behave unacceptably while performing community service.
– otherwise fail to comply with their release conditions.
The officer's challenges:
Not all people on supervision are suitable for community service, including those with
- a drug or alcohol addiction.
- a history of assault or sexual offenses.
- serious emotional or psychological problems.
What the benefits are:
- Requires people on supervision to give something back to society.
- Gives them an opportunity to get work experience, job skills, and references.
- Gives the community free labor and provides services that otherwise might not be available due to lack of funding.